Bill O’Reilly, Fox News host will not return to the network, 21st Century Fox announced Wednesday.
“After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel,” the network said in a statement.
Reports emerged this week that 21st Century Fox was leaning toward ousting O’Reilly in the wake of sexual harassment allegations.
New York Magazine’s Gabriel Sherman reported hours earlier that Fox News had decided to oust O’Reilly and execs were in talks about how to end the relationship “without causing collateral damage to the network.”
O’Reilly’s show lost about 90 advertisers after The New York Times reported earlier this month that five women were paid $13 million to settle sexual harassment suits.
21st Century Fox owner Rupert Murdoch had reportedly said he was reluctant to fire O’Reilly because it would look like The New York Times report forced his hand.
Fox also announced Wednesday that Tucker Carlson is moving into O’Reilly’s highly coveted 8 p.m. time slot.
“The O’Reilly Factor” has been the top-rated cable news show for the past 15 years, creating big shoes to fill.
But Carlson has shown a knack for big ratings at Fox. Originally airing at 7 p.m. when it debuted in September, “Tucker Carlson Tonight” was moved to the 9 p.m. spot after Megyn Kelly left Fox News in November. Kelly had been the second most-watched host on cable, but Carlson bested her ratings in the time slot.
Taking over at 9 p.m. will be “The Five,” a panel show with six co-hosts: Kimberly Guilfoyle, Dana Perino, Bob Beckel, Greg Gutfeld, Jesse Watters and Juan Williams.
And the newly-open 5 p.m. spot will go to a new show hosted by Eric Bolling, a longtime O’Reilly fill-in and former “The Five” co-host. Bolling’s show will debut May 1, with “Special Report with Bret Baier” stretching to two hours to fill the time until then.
By Elliot Smilowitz – The Hill