It’s easy to roll your eyes at every meme created or social media praise posted about BeyonceÂ (thanks, in part, to one of ˜Saturday Night Lives highlights from last season). But look at it like this: How many other stars warrant such exaltation? The R&B songstress is a global superstar. Throughout history, there have been very few people who’ve maintained such an image of perfection for as long as Beyonce has.
Her influence, the fact she’s the spiritual successor to Janet Jackson’s trailblazing tendencies and Donna Summer’s onstage power deserves another post by itself. The singer’s accolades do, too. So to put it simply, she’s the most successful female artist of the millennium. Plus, it’s been nearly nine months since her self-titled album hit iTunes and people are still feeling the aftershock.
Queen Bey has been a focal point of the culture for so long, and yet, there’s still many facts about her that possibly even her BeyHive isn’t aware of. Here are 20 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Beyonce.
- Skeleton Crew’s lone claim to fame is beating a 12-year-old Beyonce on ‘Star Search’ when she was part of Girls Tyme — a moment that’s immortalized on ‘Flawless.’ Even the rock quintet was surprised when they beat the group. “I told the guys in the band to pack after the rehearsal because there’s no way we’re going to beat them,” said band vocalist William Pilipchuk. “They’re too cute.
- At 7, she beat 15 and 16-year-olds in a talent show by singing John Lennon’s ‘Imagine.’
- Beyonce experienced a period of depression during Destiny’s Child rise in the late ’90s. This came from a combination of the media fallout resulting from original D.C. members LeToya Luckett and LaTavia Roberson’s departure and a breakup from her longtime boyfriend.
- In addition to her singing, live performing and recording accolades, Beyonce is also an accomplished writer. She wrote about her 2010 break from performing in a 2011 Essence cover story titled, ‘Eat, Pray, Love.’ The piece won her an award from the New York Association of Black Journalists.
- Despite having no promotion, Beyonce’s 2013 self-titled album is her highest selling in America since 2006’s ‘B’Day.’
- There was a chance that ‘Crazy in Love,’ Beyonce’s breakout single, didn’t happen. She wasn’t too fond of the horn-based sample created by producer Rich Harrison — it seemed too old school. Luckily, Beyonce warmed up to it.
- The modern English language was “ready for this jelly” in 2006, when the Oxford Dictionary officially added the word “bootylicious.”
- The Sasha Fierce alter ego was conceived while creating ‘Crazy in Love’ and popularized in 2008’s ‘I Am…Sasha Fierce.’ When it comes to Fierce, Beyonce says, “I’m not like her in real life at all.”
- In 2007, she became the first non-athlete/supermodel to cover Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit issue.
- She records all of her interviews with journalists and keeps them in her archives. This way if there’s every any discrepancy when it comes to being quoted, she has all the facts at the ready.
- Beyonce suffered a miscarriage before Blue Ivy’s birth in January 2012. She describes it as, “the saddest thing I’ve ever been through.”
- The singer-entrepreneur has her own fragrance line, but she’s allergic to most perfumes. The fragrances she wears have to be chemically altered to make sure she doesn’t have an allergic reaction.
- Pizza is her favorite indulgence, even though her figure suggests otherwise. Sunday is her pizza day.
- Her bodyguard Shortie once broke her toe during a shopping trip to Macy’s in New York City. He was trying to guard her from fans when he lost balance and stepped on her foot. The irony.
- Queen Bey has a thing for the number four. Her birthday is on Sept. 4, Jay Z’s birthday is on Dec. 4 and the two got married on April 4, 2008. Her fourth album is also titled ‘4.’
- In 2003, she had to take a stand for herself after an unreasonable request at a photo shoot. Beyonce absolutely was not having it and walked out when celebrity photographer David LaChapelle asked her to pose naked smothered in honey.
- As a child, Beyonce charged houseguests $5 to watch her perform.
- Mathew Knowles, her father, made Beyonce sing while running a mile in order to build her endurance. OutKast trained similarly when they were coming up.
- Jay Z and Beyonce didn’t hit things off immediately. The two spoke on the phone for a year
- She has an older brother named Nixon. He’s four years older than her and apparently was born as a result of an affair he had.
By Brian Josephs