This event held on Saturday, September 27th focused on African Americans being over looked in the tourism and travel industry.Â The panelists for this topic were the following:
- Andrew A. Ingraham President/CEO, NABHOOD
- Solomon J. Herbert Publisher/Editor-In-Chief, Black Meetings & Tourism
- Gregory DeShields Executive Director, Philadelphia CVB, Multicultural Affairs Congress
- Rita McClenny President/CEO Virginia Tourism Corp.
- Weller Thomas Publisher, Pathfinders Travel Magazine
- Linda Weatherspoon Haithcox Executive Director, National Policy Alliance
- Laura Mandala Market Research, Management Consulting
Research shows that African Americans leisure travel brings over 50 billion of revenue to the tourism and travel business but they are not being represented well in this industry.Â The need for multicultural studies is needed so the industry will be aware of the needs of the African American travelers.Â All panelists agreed that it’s best if everyone made their arrangements through the Travel Bureaus and then the African American community will have valid numbers to show for all the travel they do.
By J.V. Jones DC Nitelife
Photographs by Darryle Carter